Monday, April 24, 2006

Media Omission

I was at the protest of Bush in St Helena when they took this video. It is very interesting that they mentioned how many protesters were there, which was about 300 and they were accurate about that. However, they never mentioned nor gave any indication of how many supporters of the president were there, if you watch the video they talked to three protesters and two supporters of the president. I would guess this was to provide "balance" as they like to call it. You might ask what was wrong with that?

Here is what was wrong with it. There were 300 protesters and at one time only 6 supporters of Bush there. I know I counted them.

Now if the newscaster has said there were only 6 supporters of Bush there I wouldn't have had a problem OR if they had shown a shot of them to give perspective and context I wouldn't have minded. Naturally that wouldnt' have looked very good now would it?

This is the equivalent of a fireman watching a house burn. It is called not doing your job. This is willful and blantant. It is as bad as lying. By leaving out the context of the situation they are misinforming the public.

Plain and simple.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Reporters" are merely PR people for those in power.

-RW

8:25 AM  
Blogger Scott said...

Thanks. I had no idea.

8:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home